Frequently Asked Questions

What is CHRAJ all about?

  • The Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) exists to protect fundamental human rights and to ensure good governance for every person in Ghana. The Commission was given a broad mandate to achieve this mission by the 1992 Constitution of Ghana and by its enabling Act, Act 456, in 1993. With a threefold mandate, CHRAJ is:
    1. A National Human Rights Institution
    2. An Ombudsman, an agency which ensures administrative justice
    3. An Anticorruption Agency for the public sector

When was CHRAJ established?

  • The Commission of Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) was established in 1993 under the 1992 Constitution of Ghana by Act 456

Where is the headquarters of CHRAJ located?

  • CHRAJ headquarters is located at the Old Parliament House, High Street, Accra

How can I contact the Commission?

  • Head Office:
    Old Parliament House, High Street, Accra.
    Postal Address: Box AC 489, Accra.
    Phone: 0302- 662150/ 664267/ 664561/ 668839
    Fax: 0302- 660020/ 668840/ 680396/ 673677
  • Regional Offices:
    Accra: 030 222 7111
    Bolgatanga: 038 202 2312
    Cape Coast: 033 203 2280/3158
    Ho: 036 202 6797
    Koforidua: 034 202 2321
    Kumasi: 032 202 7445
    Sunyani: 035 202 3573
    Takoradi: 031 202 3730
    Tamale: 037 202 2035
    Tema: 030 320 8003
    Wa: 039 202 2393

Does CHRAJ have regional and district offices in Ghana?

  • The Commission has 10 Regional Offices that co-ordinate the Commission’s work in the 10 administrative regions of Ghana. In addition, it has 2 Sub-Regional and ninety-nine (99) District Offices across the country that ensures that the work of the Commission is brought to the doorstep of the ordinary person

Who can make a complaint to CHRAJ?

  • Any person or group of persons or an institution can lodge a complaint with the Commission. Where the circumstances demand, a person may lodge a complaint on behalf of another.

When can I lodge a complaint?

  • You may complain when:
    • Your human rights are violated
    • You are denied the enjoyment of a right to which you are entitled.
    • You are dissatisfied with a decision, an action of or a service you have received from any public institution or public official
    • You have been unsuccessful in your efforts to resolve the problem with the public institution or public official.
  • You should complain to the Commission as soon as possible but not later than 12 months after the conduct or decision you want to complain about took place.

What can I complain about?

How can I make a complaint?

  • You may complain to the Commission via phone, email, post, fax, or in person at any of the Commission’s offices throughout the country.When making a complaint, you should try to give as much detail as possible including supporting documents and contacts of persons who may assist the Commission in its investigation. You should also indicate to the Commission the remedy you are seeking.You should provide all relevant information that will assist the Commission communicate better with you and the person or institution you are complaining about. This should include full names, contact addresses and contact phone numbers.

Why should I bring a complaint to CHRAJ?

  • Every person who comes before the Commission is given every opportunity to present his or her case through a process that is fair, just and transparent. In addition, you will find that the Commission’s:
    • Services are free, empowering, user-friendly and accessible to all.
    • Investigations and complaints resolution mechanisms are efficient and expeditious

How much does it cost to make a complaint?

  • All services rendered by CHRAJ are free of charge

Does CHRAJ investigate all issues brought before it?

  • While no institution, body, or person is excluded from the Commission’s mandate, the Commission cannot investigate a matter:
    • that is pending before a court or judicial tribunal
    • involving relations between the government and any other government or international organization
    • where the President exercises his or her prerogative of mercy (such as the grant of a pardon to a convict)
  • The Commission is not a judicial body and cannot review decisions that have previously been decided by a competent court as the courts have their own systems of review and appeal.
  • The Commission may also refuse to investigate or cease to investigate any complaint:
    1. If the complaint relates to a decision, recommendation, act or omission of which the complainant has had knowledge for more than twelve months before the complaint is received by the Commissioner
    2. if the Commission considers that :
      • the subject matter of the complaint is trivial
      • the complaint is frivolous or vexatious or is not made in good faith, or
      • the complainant does not have sufficient personal interest in the subject matter of the complaint.